11 new coronavirus cases in R.I.; Raimondo says ’no plans’ for shelter in place

To our readers: We are providing vital coronavirus content for free online as a public service during the outbreak. Please support local journalism by subscribing to The Providence Journal.

PROVIDENCE — Eleven new cases of coronavirus have been identified in Rhode Island over the last day, Gov. Gina Raimondo announced Thursday afternoon.

That brings the total in the state since the arrival of coronavirus to 44.

The governor said she has no plans to order a shelter-in-place in Rhode Island, but said that could only ultimately be avoided if people in the state follow directions by avoiding crowds and “absolutely staying home if you’re sick.”

She said the state remains “ahead of the virus” and is not overwhelmed by the caseload so far.

https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20200319/11-new-coronavirus-cases-in-ri-raimondo-says-rsquono-plansrsquo-for-shelter-in-place

Citing a looming shortage of supplies, Raimondo called on local manufacturers to help produce needed equipment — particularly textile manufacturers and those who have access to personal protective equipment such as face masks.

A list of the most needed items is available at https://rigov.wufoo.com/forms/covid-19-medical-supply-donations/

Health Director Dr. Nicole Alexander-Scott said the 11 new cases are people who range in age from their 20s to their 60s. One of the 11 new cases is a person who is hospitalized, doubling the number currently in the hospital. Within the group are people who have traveled to New York and Utah.

So far five of the 44 people who have tested positive in Rhode Island have been healthcare workers, according to the state Department of Health.

More to come.

panderson@providencejournal.com

(401)277-7384

On Twitter: PatrickAnderso_

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *